How to Pack Dishes and Bowls: 5 Mistakes to Avoid
Next to moving large appliances like the refrigerator, one of the most difficult things to move in your kitchen is the dishes. Dishes break very easily, and in order to protect your investment, it is very important that they are moved correctly. Unfortunately, when moving and storing dishes, we usually see a few common mistakes. The best way to avoid making a mistake is to learn about it. Read about these 5 common packing mistakes below!
5 Common Mistakes to Avoid When Packing Dishes for a Move
- Moving and storing dirty dishes: Moving is a lot of work, and if your moving day creeped up before you are ready, you may be look for a way to cut corners. Unfortunately, not washing the dishes before moving and storing is not it. While you may not have initially intended on storing your dishes after your move, things come up and if your new house isn’t ready when you thought it would be, you may have to store them for a while. In order to prevent mold and mildew from forming on dishes, always clean them before moving and storing.
- Not reinforcing the boxes: Even if the boxes are new, it is still important to reinforce the boxes to keep the dishes from falling out the bottom. Use packing tape to hold the seams of the boxes together.
- Not padding the boxes well enough: When moving something as fragile as dishes, it is essential to pad the boxes. Before putting dishes inside of the box, place crumpled up packing paper in the bottom of the box. Additionally, if there is extra space left, add crumpled up packing paper to pad the dishes against the top of the box.
- Not wrapping the dishes: Next, it is necessary to keep the dishes from rubbing and scratching each other. Place the packing paper diagonally on each dish and tuck the end of the paper around the dish to keep it secure.
- Packing the boxes too heavy: Keep in mind that everything you have to pack, you also have to lift. If it comes down to using more boxes for packing dishes or loading the boxes heavier, always use more boxes.
Self Storage of Vacaville is Your Household Storage Solution
We strive to offer you packing and moving tips to have an easy and successful move. Investing in a storage unit can help to reduce the stress of moving by allowing you to start getting items out of your house and into a secure location before your new home is ready. This is a great option if your new home will not be ready until after you have to be out of your old home. Self Storage of Vacaville has both traditional and climate controlled storage units for rent in Vacaville, CA! If you are looking to store the contents from multiple rooms, consider a 5x10, 10x10 or 10x20 storage unit. Reserve your storage unit with Self Storage of Vacaville today!