Stress-Free Moving Tips and Hacks
Have you decided to move? Maybe you’re just moving across the city, or maybe you’re moving across the country. No matter how big or small your move is, moving is still stressful. But, we’re here to help! Keep reading this blog for a must-follow moving tips checklist.
6 Helpful Moving Tips for Packing
- Declutter your home: Keep in mind that every item you need to move adds up in both time and cost. Before starting to pack for your move, sort through closets, drawers and boxes for any items you can get rid of. Be critical when combing through your belongings, if you haven’t used it in the last year, you likely do not need it.
- Start packing early: The biggest mistake you can make with your move is to leave packing to last minute. This not only causes more built-up stress; it may result in you rushing and not packing items correctly. About two months out from your move, start trying to pack 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week. Over time, these early efforts will really add up.
- Determine if you need movers: While hiring movers may seem like just another expense, depending on your situation, it may be well worth it. If your friends or family members are busy the day of your move, hiring professional movers may be the right choice for you. When hiring a moving company, make sure you look into the reviews. While moving scams are uncommon, they are not unheard of.
- Clearly label all boxes: After packing up each box, put a label on the outside with a list of contents as well as which room the box belongs in. In order to make it easy on your movers, consider color coating the labels based on the room each box belongs in. If the box contains fragile items, make sure the box is labeled as being fragile.
- Never leave empty space in the box: If you have space in the box, fill it with clothing, packing paper or foam peanuts to prevent items from shifting or getting squished during your move.
- Pack a first day box: There are a few items you will need as soon as you get to your new home. In order to prevent these items from getting lost when you need them, put a box aside to be used as your first day box. This box should contain items such as: cleaning supplies, chargers, a new change of clothes, toiletries, medicine and more.
Clear the Clutter in Your New Home With a Storage Unit Rental!
One common reason for moving is downsizing homes. Unfortunately, when you move to a smaller home, some of the items that once fit in your past home will no longer fit in your new home. One solution to this problem is a storage unit rental. A storage unit rental can store seasonal items or items you do not need often in a safe and secure location close to your home.
Self Storage of Vacaville has a storage facility in Vacaville, CA! The state-of-the-art storage facility offers both traditional and climate controlled storage options in a variety of sizes. Reserve a storage unit today!