How to Store Furniture: Tips for Moving and Storing a Couch
Are you planning on moving your couch? Whether you are simply moving it straight into your new home, or moving it into a storage facility for safe keeping until you need it next, it is important to correctly move a couch. Moving a couch incorrectly can permanently damage the piece of furniture, either through structural damage or damage to the fabric. Learn the top tips for moving and storing a couch here!
5 Steps for Moving and Storing a Couch
- Step #1: Measure the couch- Measure the couch before moving it so you know exactly just how large the couch is. This is not only important for getting the couch out of your house, it can also help you to accurately choose the best sized storage unit for you.
- Step #2: Clean the couch- Before moving the couch, clean it off. While this step is not mandatory if you are simply moving the couch into a new home, it is still a good idea. When cleaning off the couch, use a vacuum to suck up any loose debris. Next, spot steam the couch using a steam vacuum. If you do not have a steam vacuum, use a mild detergent. Before using a detergent on your couch, spot test it on a small, inconspicuous area.
- Step #3: Remove any unconnected pieces- Remove the couch pillows and cushions from the couch and place them to the side. Removing all unconnected pieces will make the couch lighter and easier to move.
- Step #4: Invest in a sofa storage bag- One of the most common times for the couch to get damaged is when you’re moving it. In order to protect the couch from dirt, dust, mud and any other damaging matter, it is important to use a sofa storage bag.
- Step #5: Use a climate controlled storage unit- When storing furniture, it is necessary to use a climate controlled storage unit. A climate controlled storage unit will protect your furniture from any damaging fluctuations in temperature.
Store Your Couch with Vacaville Self Storage
Need a storage facility close to your home in Vacaville, CA? Look no further than Vacaville Self Storage! Our storage facility has both traditional and climate controlled storage units, in a range of convenient sizes. Our 5x10 storage unit is perfect for storing a couch and other smaller furniture pieces. For full household storage, consider the 10x10 storage unit. Reserve your self storage unit with Self Storage of Vacaville today!