Must-Follow Long Term Storage Tips
It isn’t uncommon to want a long term storage solution for household items, business inventory, equipment and more. But it is important to know that preparing your items for long term storage can be quite different from preparing your items for short term storage. Learn 6 important tips for storing items long term in this post! Take a look at our storage unit prices that can help you with your long term storage solutions.
6 Tips for Using a Long Term Storage Unit
- Use a canvas tarp to cover the floor: Over time, moisture can seep up from the floor and damage the items in your storage unit. In order to prevent this from happening, it is important to spread a tarp out on the floor to stop moisture from accumulating and damaging your items.
- Avoid packing items in plastic bags: Never use plastic bags to store your items long term. Plastic bags will not allow your items to breathe and will trap in moisture which can permanently damage your items.
- Always use clean cardboard boxes: This step can’t be overstated. When storing your items for a long period of time, it is important to always use clean, sturdy boxes. As a general rule of thumb, using new boxes are better than using boxes that have been used before. If the boxes have been previously used to transport food, it is possible for the cardboard to absorb the food smell which can attract pests and vermin to your storage unit.
- Properly prepare all items for storage: It is important to fully understand which items require extra care before they can be placed into long-term storage. For example, before you can store any large appliances like a refrigerator or washer and dryer, these items need to be cleaned and dried out. Understanding how to store items long term will prevent them from getting damaged during storage.
- Label all boxes: While this step is important for short term storage, it is especially important for long-term storage. Always label all 4 sides of your boxes with a list of what is inside. If the boxes contain fragile items, be sure to label the boxes as fragile.
- Use a climate controlled storage unit: When storing your items long term, it is important to use a climate controlled storage unit. Climate controlled storage can protect your items from fluctuations in temperature that can cause severe and permanent damage.
Need a Long Term Storage Facility?
Looking for a long term storage facility? Self Storage of Vacaville offers storage facilities in Vacaville, CA and serves the communities throughout Solano County with climate controlled storage units! Our storage facilities have a variety of storage unit sizes, including the 5x5, 5x10 and 10x10 storage units. Need boxes or other moving supplies? We sell them onsite at our main office. Reserve a storage unit with Self Storage of Vacaville today!